Helpline Resource

Online and Automated Telephone Service

Alternative Dispute Resolution Process

The Alternative Dispute Resolution Process uses Mediation to try to address disputes between a consumer of mental health services and the agency that provides his or her services.  This process is available to any and all consumers who wish to exercise this option. However, if you do not have Medicaid, The Alternative Dispute Resolution Process is your only option to resolve disputes.

If you feel that the services you receive from community mental health have been denied, suspended, reduced or terminated, you should file a request for Alternative Dispute Resolution.  This request should be made in writing to your local community mental health director and the Office of Recipient Rights.  The request should include the following information:

  • your name and phone number;
  • if you have one, the name of your guardian or legal representative and their phone number;
  • the name of the community mental health services program you are having trouble with;
  • a description of the services you think have been denied, suspended, reduced or terminated; and
  • how this issue with your services impacts your life.

The alternative dispute resolution process varies from county to county.  However, in general, both parties will have the opportunity to present their side to an impartial hearing officer.  The hearing officer is usually someone that does not work for community mental health, or you, and does not have prior knowledge about your case.

The hearing officer will then make a decision based on the information presented.  If the decision is in your favor, your services will be reinstated based on what the hearing officer decides, and agreed to by the parties.  If the decision is not in your favor, you can appeal that decision, in writing, to the Department of Community Health.

If you would like more information regarding the Alternative Dispute Resolution process, contact the Detroit Wayne County Community Mental Health Agency at 313-833-2500 or The Arc Western Wayne County at 734-729-9100.

Phone code: 1440


Code 1440

Translate »