Helpline Resource

Online and Automated Telephone Service

Representative Payee

A representative payee helps you manage your money and reports to the Social Security Administration.  If you feel that you can’t manage your own money, the social security administration can have any Social Security payments you receive paid to your representative payee.
You can have a representative payee appointed if the Social Security Administration determines that you are unable to handle your payments.  A representative payee will not be appointed just because you or someone else asks for one.  There must be proof that you need such an appointment.  The Social Security Administration will consider information such as court decisions, input from your doctor, and other important factors in its decision to appoint a representative payee.  The appointment of a representative payee doesn’t mean that you are legally incompetent.  It simply means that you need help paying your bills and handling your money.
Representative payees can be people you know.  They can also be agencies, organizations, or institutions such as banks.  Because the goal is to appoint someone who will best serve your interests, you should consider someone who cares about you.  That person could be your parent, spouse, or another relative like a brother or sister.  You could also choose a friend who knows you well and cares about you.  You can also choose an organization, the trustee of your special needs trust, or a volunteer from a local advocacy organization like The Arc.
You can’t force someone to be your representative payee.  If you don’t have someone who wants to act as your representative payee, and you think you need one, the Social Security Administration will help you find one.  For more information, you can call the social security administration at 800-772-1213.  You can also visit them online at
If you are unsure whether you or a family member need a representative payee, you can contact The Arc at 734-729-9100.
Phone code: 1401


Code 1401

Translate »