Your Responsibilities and Supplemental Security Income

You, or your Representative Payee, are responsible for reporting changes that may affect your eligibility or your payments. You must report changes within 10 days after the month they happen. If you fail to make a report, or you make a false report and receive money you are not entitled to, you will need to pay that money back to Social Security, and may even have to pay an additional penalty.


All Supplemental Security Income or SSI recipients must report the following:


  • changes in income, assets, household or living arrangements and marital status;
  • if you leave the United States;
  • if you enter or leave an institution, and
  • if you change your address.


If you are married and receiving SSI, you must report changes in your spouse’s income and assets. If you are a child under the age of 18, and live with your parents, any changes in your parent’s income must be reported. If you are blind or have a disability and are receiving SSI, you must let the Social Security Administration know if you go to work or become self-employed or if your condition improves. If you are a student between the ages of 18 and 22, you must report if you start or stop attending school.


The Social Security Administration should also be notified if you cannot manage your money and if you die. You or your Representative Payee can report any changes by phone, by mail, or in person at your local Social Security office.


If you have questions, or need additional information, you can call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 or visit them online at


Phone code: 1307

Translate »