Types of Guardianship for People with Mental Illness and Seniors

If you are a person who has a mental illness or other mental disorder, are considered legally incapacitated, and need assistance with decisions about your personal affairs, such as your care and treatment, medical decisions and housing options, a guardian is appointment by the probate court.


You may not need a guardian to help with all your decisions, so you can have a limited guardian who only helps you with some decisions.  For example, you may only need help with medical decisions.  You may not need help deciding where to live, or who to live with.  Unlike a limited guardian, a full guardian helps you with all decisions surrounding your care and treatment.


Sometimes an emergency happens and you may only need a guardian for a short time.  This type of guardianship is called a temporary guardian.


The Take Charge Helpline offers more information on guardianship.  It also offers information on alternatives to guardianship.


You should talk to a knowledgeable attorney or advocate and look at alternatives to guardianship before you make any legally binding decisions.



Phone code: 1451

Translate »